The following courses are required in order to be eligible for admission to the program:
- Biology with lab - 4 credits
- General Chemistry with lab - 8 credits
- Organic or Biochemistry with lab - 4 credits
- *Human Anatomy with lab - 4 credits
- *Human Physiology - 3 credits
- Microbiology - 3 credits
- Psychology - 3 credits
- Statistics - 3 credits
- Medical Terminology - 1 credit
- Total Credits: 33
Please note the following information about prerequisite courses:
- Prerequisite courses must be completed at a regionally accredited 2-or 4-year U.S. college or university within the 10 years prior to the date of matriculation.
- A prerequisite course may be retaken, and if a higher grade is earned upon retaking a course, the second grade may be used to calculate the prerequisite GPA, but both grades will be reflected in the cumulative undergraduate GPA as calculated by CASPA. Applicants are responsible for selecting the courses which are to be applied to the West Virginia University prerequisite GPA in CASPA. In the event that an applicant identifies more than one course to meet a particular requirement, the admissions committee will select the most appropriate course.
- Credit hours represent semester hours.
- Advanced placement (AP) courses will not be accepted for prerequisite requirements.
- Online or virtual lecture and laboratory courses in the natural sciences will not be accepted to fulfill prerequisite requirements. Natural sciences include biology, chemistry, physiology, and microbiology. Online courses in anatomy must receive prior approval by the PA Admissions Committee in order to fulfill this requirement. Please note for the upcoming application cycle beginning April 30, 2020: Pass/Fail courses taken during spring 2020 or summer 2020 semester will be accepted to meet all of our prerequisite requirements, but will not be included in the calculated prerequisite GPA. Online courses taken during spring 2020 or summer 2020 semester will be accepted to meet all of our prerequisite requirements, provided that they include an online/virtual lab where required and meet the minimum number of credit hours as specified in our prerequisite requirements.
- *Combined Anatomy and Physiology courses are accepted; however, an applicant must take two semesters of Anatomy and Physiology with labs to fulfill the Anatomy and Physiology requirements; mammalian anatomy lab will be acceptable, but human anatomy lab is preferred.
- An applicant may have no more than two prerequisites outstanding (planned) or currently in progress at the time of application. All outstanding prerequisites must be successfully completed prior to matriculation.
- There will be no waivers or exceptions to the requirements.