The following courses are required in order to be eligible for admission to the program:
Biology with lab - 4 credits
General Chemistry with lab - 8 credits
Organic or Biochemistry with lab - 4 credits
*Human Anatomy with lab - 4 credits
*Human Physiology - 3 credits
Microbiology - 3 credits
Psychology - 3 credits
Statistics - 3 credits
Medical Terminology - 1 credit
Total Credits: 33
Please note the following information about prerequisite courses:
- Prerequisite courses must be completed at a regionally accredited 2-or 4-year U.S. college or university within the 10 years prior to the date of matriculation.
- A prerequisite course may be retaken, and if a higher grade is earned upon retaking a course, the second grade may be used to calculate the prerequisite GPA, but both grades will be reflected in the cumulative undergraduate GPA as calculated by CASPA. Applicants are responsible for selecting the courses which are to be applied to the West Virginia University prerequisite GPA in CASPA. In the event that an applicant identifies more than one course to meet a particular requirement, the admissions committee will select the most appropriate course.
- Credit hours represent semester hours.
- Advanced placement (AP) courses will not be accepted for prerequisite requirements.
- Online or virtual lecture and laboratory courses in the natural sciences will not be accepted to fulfill prerequisite requirements. Natural sciences include biology, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, and microbiology.
- *Combined Anatomy and Physiology courses are accepted; however, an applicant must take two semesters of Anatomy and Physiology with labs to fulfill the Anatomy and Physiology requirements; mammalian anatomy lab will be acceptable, but human anatomy lab is preferred.
- An applicant may have prerequisites in progress at the time of application, however all outstanding prerequisites must be successfully completed prior to matriculation. In order to fairly evaluate each candidate, no more than two prerequisite courses may be outstanding at the time of the interview.
- There will be no waivers or exceptions to the requirements.