LOCATION: Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, West Virginia
PRECEPTOR: Dr. James P. Griffith. MD
DURATION: 2 or 4 weeks
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 1 student
- To improve skills and knowledge in the diagnosis, treatment and management of psychiatric and substance abusing populations in crisis;
- To improve skills and knowledge in the team approach to medical-psychiatric problems.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Frontline ER crisis intervention with staff supervision and in rotation with psychiatric residents;
- Regular team meetings, teaching rounds, formal and informal case discussions, and regular didactic sessions;
- Regular group therapy sessions with patients and their family members along with individual sessions with patients and their families as needed.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Available in the department.
On the first day of rotations report to: 6 East, Adult Psychiatric Unit, General Hospital at 8:00 AM.