LOCATION: Chestnut Ridge Hospital of the WVU Hospitals, Inc. - Morgantown, West Virginia
PRECEPTOR: Toni Goodykoontz, M.D.
DURATION: 4 weeks minimum
OFFERED: Continuously (Unavailable Block 1 & 2)
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 1 student
- To enhance the comfort of working with adolescent patients.
- To learn diagnostic criteria of adolescent psychiatric disorders.
- To become acquainted with adolescent inpatient treatment and modalities;
- To learn how to treat and monitor treatment process.
- To learn how to plan after-care follow-up.
- To become acquainted with the integration of various health professionals in treating adolescents (psychiatry; psychology, nursing, pharmacology, social work, education specialty, art therapy, and recreation therapy).
Methods to Achieve Objectives
The student will --
- Be assigned to the acute adolescent psychiatry unit and share the responsibilities with the residents.
- Perform as a team member and be supervised by an adolescent psychiatry attending.
- Attend morning rounds, groups, diagnostic conferences treatment and planning sessions, didactic lectures, and grand rounds.
- Observe individual therapy sessions with the adolescent residents.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Daily observation and critique of initial work-up, write-ups and daily progress notes. Critique of quality of therapeutic attitudes and comments with patients in group therapy settings and supervised individual sessions.
Contact Ms. Debbie Robinson two weeks prior to rotation start date. email@example.com / (304) 293-3105