Dual Diagnosis Unit
LOCATION: Chestnut Ridge Center, Morgantown, West Virginia
PRECEPTOR: Preceptors Rotate every 90 days
DURATION: 2 weeks minimum
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 1 student
- To enhance positive attitudes toward the chemical dependent patient and to recognize chemical dependency as a disease.
- To become acquainted with early signs, symptoms, laboratory data and consequences of problem alcohol and drug use.
- To learn treatment techniques including confrontation, pharmacotherapy, group therapy, proper referral to Alcoholics Anonymous, and individual counseling;
- To integrate the concept of spiritual, mental and physical deficits in treatment planning;
- To coordinate and participate in aftercare of the patient;
- To recognize and treat comorbidity in the addiction population.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Supervision by unit physicians;
- Direct involvement in assessment and treatment planning of the chemical dependent patient and the family;
- While there is no on-call after hours, some evening and weekend meetings will be necessary.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Contact Ms. Debbie Robinson two weeks prior to rotation start date. firstname.lastname@example.org / (304) 293 - 3105