LOCATION: Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, West Virginia
PRECEPTORS: WVU Clinical Faculty
DURATION: 2 or 4 weeks
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 2 students
- To acquaint the medical student to the subspecialty of Gastroenterology;
- To gain familiarity with gastrointestinal fiberoptic endoscopy, both diagnostic and therapeutic;
- To gain familiarity with histopathology of the bowel and liver through monthly conferences with the Department of Pathology and Surgery and on daily rounds with the attending;
- To become familiar with esophageal motility disorders;
- To become familiar with gastrointestinal radiography, sonography and CT scans.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Work-up and follow all primary care patients assigned to the Gastroenterology Section, Department of Internal Medicine;
- See in consultation and present to the attending gastroenterologist or senior postdoctoral trainee in the Gastroenterology Section;
- By attending the Outpatient Gastroenterology Clinic;
- By attending and observing outpatient endoscopic procedures and motility studies done in an ambulatory care setting;
- By attending all conferences offered in Gastroenterology;
- Rounds in Radiology to review pertinent films, sonograms, and CT scans.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Available in the department.
On the first day of rotations, Page assigned preceptor at 8:00 AM.