LOCATION: Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, West Virginia
PRECEPTORS: Asif Rahman, MD
DURATION: 2 or 4 weeks
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 2 students
To familiarize and provide experience for the medical student with;
- Patient assessment;
- Managing fluid and electrolytes;
- Acid base disorders;
- Diagnosis and management of Acute and Chronic Renal Failure;
- Clinical aspect of uremia and End Stage Renal Disease;
- Management of renal transplant patients;
- Treatment of hypertension;
- Adjustment of medication dosage in patients with renal failure.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Review of written informational packages and lectures;
- Performing comprehensive evaluation and management of patients in hospital, Emergency Room and Acute Kidney Dialysis Unit under the supervision of a nephrology resident and attending physician;
- Observe dialysis, (and as occasion arises, hemoperfusion, continuous arteriovenous hemofiltration, and/or pheresis);
- Assist with renal biopsy procedure and review of the prepared slide;
- Perform urinalysis, interpreting urine sediment and correlation of the findings and the clinical syndromes;
- Attend nephrology conference twice per month;
- Attend renal clinic every other week.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Available in the department.
Contact assigned preceptor for instructions.