LOCATION: Ruby Memorial Hospital of the WVU Hospitals, Inc., Morgantown, West Virginia
PRECEPTOR: Bethany Pellegrino, MD
DURATION: 2 weeks minimum
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 2 students
To help students become competent in evaluating and treating nephrological problems by presenting a 1/2 month exposure to the diagnosis and management of fluid and electrolyte disorders, acid-base disturbances, acute and chronic kidney disease, dialysis, hypertension, and transplantation.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Perform initial evaluation of new patient consultations and patients returning for ongoing management.
- Introduction to the diagnostic evaluation of the urine and sediment.
- Participation in weekly conferences on renal pathology, fluid and electrolyte and acid-base disorders; acute and chronic kidney disease.
- Exposure to the use of renal replacement modalities acute and chronic hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and renal transplantation.
- Exposure to the use of plasmapheresis.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Please contact Mr. William Harlow, firstname.lastname@example.org two weeks prior to rotation start date.